The Aurora sustainability covenant represents a unique approach to sustainable urban design. Forming a 15-year binding statutory commitment by EPA Victoria, VicUrban, Yarra Valley Water and the City of Whittlesea, covenant partners will work together to increase the resource use efficiency - and reduce the ecological impact - of the Aurora residential urban development. A sophisticated example of sustainable urban design on a large scale, Aurora will encourage the incorporation of sustainability principles and innovations into new property developments.
Download the Aurora Sustainability Covenant (PDF 379KB)
Further to addressing sustainable development and living at Aurora, the Aurora sustainability covenant will add value beyond Aurora. As covenant partners have made an explicit commitment to share knowledge gained through their experience, Aurora will facilitate the incorporation of sustainable urban design into new residential property developments. Imagine if initiatives such as water recycling, sustainable material use, solar energy, 6 star homes and waste minimisation featured in all new property developments in Victoria.
Sustainable urban design
The covenant focuses on incorporating sustainability principles into Aurora's design, construction and operation. Innovative commitments include:
The latest technology
- Every one of Aurora's 9000 homes will achieve a minimum 6 star energy rating.
- Water recycling through a third pipe transport design and local wastewater treatment facility, reducing potable water consumption and reducing discharge into waterways.
Applying a life cycle approach
Aurora's developers are committed to applying a life cycle approach to achieve sustainability.
- The Aurora covenant commits partners to dramatically minimise waste, setting a target of 95 per cent reduction in civil. and building construction waste going to landfill compared to conventional residential developments, by mid 2006.
- Builders will make use of local recycled materials and products in the construction of homes and other infrastructure.
- Energy efficient appliances will be installed in all Aurora homes.
- Green power will be sourced where possible (including for use at the water recycling plant).
- A sustainability indicator, Ecological Footprint will be used to measure and communicate Aurora's success.
Aurora's journey towards sustainability begins with sustainable urban design. To equip Aurora residents with the knowledge to live sustainably, welcome kits will be provided for each Aurora home. Residents will be informed about local sustainable transport options, indigenous plant species for water-smart gardens and recycling services, for example.
Furthermore, implementation of the Cooper Street Development Plan will encourage industrial and commercial opportunities within a short distance of Aurora - reducing travel time and greenhouse gas emissions.
The Aurora sustainability covenant will further extend environment protection and sustainability awareness in the property development sector. Aurora's signatories have demonstrated leadership by working toward sustainability, together. Aurora will serve as a model of sustainable urban design on a large scale and inspire further innovation to achieve environmental sustainability.
For further information contact: