31-40 of 3106 results

  • Groundwater pollution Map of zones across Victoria EPA is making existing information about groundwater quality easier to find via an interactive web tool, updated as EPA decisions are made. You can now easily search a map of Victoria to find where a ‘groundwater quality restricted use zone’ is. These are areas where there has been historic groundwater pollution as a result of previous industrial activity. These zones have been subject to cleanup in line with the relevant environmental standards. ... Last updated on 23 Dec 2014
  • Human health and trichloroethylene (TCE) How can people be exposed to trichloroethylene? The most common way people are exposed to TCE is when it evaporates into the air and they breathe it in. This may happen in industrial facilities where it is used as a cleaning solvent. In some cases, TCE in groundwater may evaporate and move up through the soil, entering buildings through cracks or gaps in basements as a gas that could be inhaled. If the contaminated groundwater is used for cooking, swimming or washing, TCE may be swallowed... Last updated on 19 Jun 2017
  • Noise Our role Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) plays a role in protecting the community from noise pollution. It develops policies, regulations and guidelines to prevent and control noise, and partners with other agencies (including local councils, Victoria Police and transport agencies such as VicRoads) to provide advice on the best ways to implement them. Noise pollution is regulated by different authorities and levels of government. What is noise pollution? Noise pollution i... Last updated on 2 Jun 2017
  • Commercial and industrial noise Information for residents reporting noise Introduction to noise standards  Wind energy facility noise  Other noise  Commercial and industrial noise includes noise from industry, commercial premises, office blocks, shops, mines and quarries and some farming activities. Noise from businesses can significantly impact on local communities, particularly where it disturbs sleep at night. Ongoing noise disturbance can impact on human health. EPA sets standard... Last updated on 23 Dec 2014
  • Construction noise Construction sites are a common source of noise pollution in Victoria. About 400,000 people are disturbed by construction noise annually. The main community concerns include early starts, loud radios, insufficient notification and excessive hours of operation. Ongoing noise can cause stress and health impacts, so construction contractors need to be considerate when emitting noise. EPA provides guidelines and legislation to help manage construction noise. These are often applied by local gove... Last updated on 6 Aug 2012
  • Entertainment venue noise Loud music from entertainment venues can be a problem, especially late at night. State Environment Protection Policy (Control of Music Noise from Public Premises) No. N-2 has been developed for the control of music from non-residential premises. Noise requirements based on this policy are often included in a venue's liquor licence (Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation) or planning permit (Department of Planning and Community Development). EPA enforces th... Last updated on 12 Feb 2014
  • Motor vehicle, train and tram noise On this page: Individual motor vehicles Train/tram noise and track maintenance Road traffic noise Individual motor vehicles Noisy vehicles can cause annoyance, sleep disturbance and other health impacts. The Environment Protection (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations aim to minimise the negative impacts on Victorians and the environment from noisy vehicles. The regulations prescribe noise standards for in-service vehicles. It is an offence to own or use a vehicle that e... Last updated on 21 Jul 2016
  • Approved vehicle testers If  you have received an EPA notice headed ‘Notice to have vehicle tested – Exhaust noise’, you must take the vehicle to one of the noise testers listed below. Your notice reference number will end in ‘N’. Only the following testers can issue a certificate of compliance. EPA does not issue these certificates. We advise you to ring a tester below to make an appointment to inspect your vehicle. The noise test fee is 3 fee units ($46.00 including GST in 201... Last updated on 11 Sep 2017
  • Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008 In October 2008, EPA released the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008. The Regulations replaced the 1997 Residential Noise Regulations, with some changes to the way large scale construction noise is managed. EPA consulted extensively with residents, local government, police and the residential construction industry to develop the Regulations. The Environment Protection Act 1970 and the Regulations apply to all residential premises under construction, from single h... Last updated on 29 Oct 2013
  • 2007 noise surveys EPA published studies in 2007 on the impacts of environmental noise across the state. A social survey of 1213 Victorian residents was conducted in late 2006. EPA also conducted a measurement survey, taking noise levels at 50 sites across the inner, middle and outer suburbs of Melbourne. These studies helped EPA to better understand the impact of noise on the community and assist with future noise management programs. Environmental noise impacts on peoples’ lives through annoyance, sle... Last updated on 2 Aug 2012

Page last updated on 21 Jan 2015