- People with respiratory or cardiac disorders should take their medication and minimise strenuous outdoor activity on smog alert days.
- Avoid driving where possible. Consider public transport, cycling or walking.
- Do not burn off outdoors or light incinerators (most local councils have restrictions on burning off).
- If an alternative source of heating is available, don’t use solid fuel heaters.
- If you live in Melbourne, check the latest air quality readings and forecasts.
It is also important to make sure that:
- vehicles are well maintained
- wood heaters are used correctly.
- If you are concerned about air pollution, or want to report a specific source of pollution, call EPA on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC).
- Contact the by-laws officer of your local council for assistance in dealing with problems associated with wood heaters, incinerators, and burning off.
Page last updated on 7 Jan 2016