- Incident Date
- 1 April 2019
- Locations Affected
- South West region
In April 2019, we began a project to clean up an estimated 286,200 m3 of waste stockpiled at 300–400 Broderick Road in Lara. The site's previous operator had let the amount of waste grow to dangerous levels.
The previous operator, C&D Recycling managed the site poorly. This resulted in an unacceptable risk to the local community, environment and emergency services in the event of a fire.
C&D Recycling and the site’s owner went into liquidation in early 2019. Soon after, we stepped in and used our legal powers to enter the site and begin a cleanup project to reduce the risk to the community.
The waste that has built up onsite is being cleaned up and recycled or disposed of in an appropriate way. Infrastructure, such as the office building and sheds will be maintained and left onsite.
We’re working with the City of Greater Geelong, Fire Rescue Victoria, Victoria Police, WorkSafe, Department Families, Fairness and Housing, and the Department of Health to undertake the works.
Importantly we have installed and maintain fire prevention measures to minimise the risk of a fire while we clean up the site.
We are cleaning up the site in three stages:
- Stage one – processing and removing about 26,600 m3 of timber.
- Stage two – removing about 7,600 m3 of contaminated soil.
- Stage three – removing about 252,000 m3 of mixed construction and demolition waste, spread across four main stockpiles.
Stages one and two are now complete. Contractors removed approximately 34,000 m3 of waste from the site between September 2019 and April 2020.
We started stage three in June 2020. So far, contractors have removed about 164,116 m3 of waste as part of stage three.
Since the start of the cleanup project we have removed more than 198,316 m3 (about 69 percent) of material from the site.
There is about 87,884 m3 of material left to remove.
We have community updates and factsheets about the cleanup:
- Broderick Road clean up factsheet: asbestos
- March 2021 update - Stage 3 cleanup works
- September 2020 update - Stage 3 cleanup works
- July 2020 update – Stage 3 cleanup works
- May 2020 update – Stages 1 and 2 complete
- December 2019 update – Cleanup progress at Broderick Road Lara
- Stage 2 – Contaminated soil removal
- Stage 1 – Timber removal
Contact us about Broderick Road
For more information about what’s happening at Broderick Road:
More about the Broderick Road cleanup
Reviewed 1 October 2021