The Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018 comes into effect on 1 July 2020. We’ll support stakeholders on these changes as we develop new regulations and specific guidance.
Subordinate legislation to support the new Act
What we learnt from public comment
The public comment period closed on 31 October 2019. We received 321 submissions. More than half of these came from organisations.
We have identified more than 2,300 individual issues from the submissions.
Common themes include:
- duty holder readiness for 1 July 2020, including priorities for guidance and support
- onsite domestic wastewater management systems (septics)
- declarations of use and classifications (waste)
- transport and testing of contaminated soils
- new noise sensitive areas.
View the submissions
Submissions received may be published on Engage Vic where the submitter has given permission.
These submissions will gradually be published on Engage Vic from Dec 2019.
EPA and Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DELWP) will address confidentiality and privacy concerns before publication.
Responses to submissions
Substantive comments will receive a formal response via The Response to Public Comment Report.
This report will be published on Engage Vic when the regulations and standards are made by Government. We estimate this to be in May 2020.
The proposed regulations and standards are still available on Engage Vic.
EPA and DELWP are now focused on reviewing submissions and considering the appropriate response.
Have EPA to present to your organisation or business about the changes
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like EPA to come and talk to your business or community group about what’s changing.
Any other questions can be sent to email@example.com
- December 2019 - Progressive publication of submissions on Engage Vic will start.
- Early May 2020 - Anticipated Ministerial endorsement of the regulations and standards. The Governor in Council will ‘make’ them shortly thereafter.
- May 2020 - The Response to Public Comment Report will be available on Engage Vic.
We welcome any feedback you have on these new laws. If you’re interested in becoming more involved, you can email our dedicated unit firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about complying with the new laws
Reviewed 28 October 2019