The Environment Protection Amendment Act 2017 came into effect on 1 July 2021.
Subordinate legislation to support the new Act
During 2019, EPA and DELWP consulted broadly with industry, local government and the community to develop the proposed subordinate legislation.
What we learned from public comment
The public comment period closed on 31 October 2019. We received 317 submissions. More than half of these came from organisations.
We identified more than 2200 individual issues from the submissions.
Common themes include:
- duty holder readiness for 1 July 2021, including priorities for guidance and support
- onsite domestic wastewater management systems (septics)
- declarations of use and classifications (waste)
- transport and testing of contaminated soils
- new noise sensitive areas.
View the submissions
Where the submitter has given permission, you can view submissions on Engage Victoria.
Responses to submissions
Th help understand how consultation shaped the final Regulations and ERS, the Government released a report on the results of consultation in December 2020:
- Response to public comment report (PDF 5MB)
The draft Regulations and standards are still available on Engage Victoria.
The subordinate legislation – Regulations and standards – have now been made and came into effect together with the new Act on 1 July 2021.
Read more about complying with the new laws
Reviewed 2 July 2021