Information on this page is not current law. It details new laws intended to commence on 1 July 2021 under the Environment Protection Act 2017.
The Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018 (the Act) provides new community protections and rights. Under the new laws:
- businesses must work to protect the environment and human health from the impacts of pollution and waste
- EPA will have greater powers to pursue and prosecute offenders
- fines have increased
- you have rights if a person or company’s failure to comply with the Act has affected you.
About community protections and new tools under the Act
- Better information sharing
- A clearer penalty structure
- Permissions for industry activities
- EPA’s tools and powers
- Your third-party rights
Read more about the new Act
Reviewed 8 July 2020