As the year comes to a close, a reflection of the works completed at the illegal waste site in Lemon Springs reveals the ongoing achievements of the cleanup project so far. Despite the year being full of challenges, the remediation project is continuing to make remarkable success.
“The project has met many milestones in 2021 and we’ll continue to work towards completion in 2022,” said EPA Project Manager Julian Bull.
Those milestones include:
- Appointment of remediation specialist EnviroPacific as principal contractor
- Construction of on-site amenities, internal roads, hardstands and soil management facility
- More than 1,000 tonnes of waste has been removed from the site to EPA licensed facilities for treatment and disposal
- Approximately 40 truckloads of waste has been transported from the site
- Approximately 5,500 m3 of contaminated soil has been excavated for treatment and/or disposal
- Over 450 samples of soil and groundwater have been tested for contamination
“We’ve also established a strong presence in the local Kaniva community and ensured the residents are kept up to date with the project status through community meetings and updates,” said Julian.
“Employment of local contractors and services continues to be a top priority, with a significant amount of the works being carried out by local businesses.”
Meanwhile, the enforcement action against the alleged duty holder in the case is progressing. The alleged duty holder will return in March 2022 for a committal hearing. Given this court activity, EPA is not able to provide any further comment.
EPA would like to thank the community for their ongoing support throughout the project, and look forward to continuing working together in 2022.
EPA’s website is the best place to visit to stay up to date – www.epa.vic.gov.au/lemonsprings - and watch the latest update video clip..
For further information and feedback:
· visit our website www.epa.vic.gov.au/lemonsprings.
· call 1300 372 842
· email email@example.com
If you know someone interested in receiving monthly Lemon Springs updates, they can email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Reviewed 13 December 2021