In 2009 and 2010, EPA was the subject of external reviews that found its regulatory approach inadequate. In order to improve its effectiveness and prepare for a more challenging future, EPA committed to an extensive review of its compliance and enforcement activities.
EPA commissioned Stan Krpan, the former Director of Legal Services and Investigations at WorkSafe Victoria (Victoria’s health and safety regulator) to conduct this independent review.
The review involved a comprehensive assessment of how EPA educates and supports duty holders to comply with the law and how it enforces against those that don’t.
Following the most extensive consultation program in EPA’s history, which included:
- 50 written submissions from the general public
- consultation with 200 EPA staff
- consultation with 200 businesses through workshops and round tables hosted by industry associations
- consultation with 300 members of the community through 14 state-wide open houses.
Stan Krpan delivered his 450-page report to the Chairman and CEO of EPA on 31 December 2010.
The review found that EPA needed to:
- reclarify its core role as an environmental regulator by promoting and adhering to the principles of a modern regulator
- refocus its energy on building staff expertise and knowledge and using that expertise to support duty-holders to comply with the law
- make smarter, more targeted and transparent decisions to tackle the issues that pose the greatest risk to human health and the environment
In February 2011, EPA made publicly available the full report, as well as a report overview and a list of the 119 recommendations.
Review overview and list of recommendations
Compliance and Enforcement Review: A review of EPA Victoria’s approach (publication 1368)
Compliance and Enforcement Review implementation: Implementation update (publication 1493, August 2012)
Compliance and Enforcement implementation: Update on progress (publication 1524, March 2013)
Compliance and Enforcement Review implementation: EPA delivers on compliance and enforcement reform (publication 1557, November 2013)
This page was copied from EPA's old website. It was last updated on 30 October 2014.
Reviewed 18 August 2020