Video transcript

How to apply for a vehicle permit for transporting prescribed industrial waste.

If you’re planning to transport prescribed industrial waste, you’ll need a permit for the vehicle you use to transport waste.

Before applying for a permit there’s a few things you should know.

You might not need a vehicle permit if the waste you're transporting is going to a site that is exempt from the transport and tracking system, less than 50 kilograms or litres, and you’re not being paid for transporting the waste.

For the permit process a vehicle can mean a truck or a trailer used to transport waste, which each have their own separate permits.

You should note that vehicle permits do not grant accredited agent status to the applicant. To become an accredited agent, you’ll need to undertake a three-to-six month assessment.

Before you can start a vehicle permit application on our portal, you’ll need to have an account. Setting up an account allows you to make future applications and submit waste transport certificates. You’ll need to use Internet Explorer as your browser to do this.

Go to our website and you’ll find a link in the top right corner. Underneath the login window, click create account to start the process.

When creating an account for the first time select the option: Register on behalf of a business. Use this option even if you’re a lease or an individual registered as a sole trader.

Make sure to use the same company name as listed on the Certificate of Incorporation, have your Australian Business Number and Australian Company Number ready.

Once you’ve submitted all the information required, we’ll send you an email within 24 hours with your account details and password.

Now that your account is set up, put together all the documents and information you’ll need for your online vehicle permit application.

You’ll need to attach documents as an electronic file, so be sure to scan all the necessary documents.

The best person to do the application is the owner of the vehicle, as listed on the vehicle’s registration. Check that the registration is up to date and hasn’t expired.

If you’re not the owner of the vehicle, you can still apply. You’ll need a letter written by the owner with permission to submit an application for them. If you’re leasing a vehicle, you can still apply, but you’ll also need to submit a copy of the lease agreement between you and the vehicle’s owner …and you'll need copy of your driver’s licence otherwise your application will be held up.

The vehicle also needs a valid third-party property insurance policy. This is to cover the cost of clean-up or damage resulting from a spill. If the vehicle is carrying prescribed waste that can be assigned a UN number you’ll need a policy that covers five million dollars. For carrying waste classified as 30XY, you’ll need insurance up to five hundred thousand dollars.

If your vehicle is non-standard or has been modified, please provide further information about the vehicle.

When you’re ready to start a permit application, head to the Interaction Portal and login with your username and password. Follow the prompts to enter the information required.

Be careful when you get to the section on carrying capacity. You don’t want the full weight of the vehicle, just how much it can carry. On the vehicle registration, take the gross vehicle mass and subtract the tare to determine the carrying capacity.

So for a vehicle with a GVM of 28.1 tonnes, minus a tare of 15.1, would provide a carrying capacity of 13 tonnes.

You’ll need to enter specific waste codes. Keep in mind that not every vehicle type is suitable for carrying each waste code, and prime movers don’t need waste codes as it’s the trailer that actually holds the waste.

There’s more information available on our website

that provides waste code information for tankers and non-tankers and which waste codes your vehicle can carry.

Before you submit your application, be sure all the information you’re submitting is correct and accurate. We may cancel a permit if the information you provide is false or misleading. It’s an offence to conceal information or provide incorrect and misleading information to us.

After you’ve submitted all the information in the portal, we’ll send you an email that tells you how much the fees will be for that permit. Once you’ve submitted your application and paid the fee, we’ll begin our assessment. If your application is incomplete, we’ll ask you for more information so that we can undertake a full assessment.

Permits are issued within twenty-one days after we’ve received your fee payment and all requested information. Applications can’t be fast tracked and we’re unable to provide progress updates.

If you haven’t received an email from us after 21 days since your complete application and fees were paid, then please contact us on 1300 372 842.

When your application has been approved, we’ll issue a permit that’s valid for 12 months. Permits must be displayed in a prominent position on the vehicle. If any changes occur that affect the details of the permit, you’ll need to immediately advise us in writing.

Keep in mind that drivers of a permitted vehicle must also hold a driver training certificate provided by the Victorian Waste Management Association.

For more detailed information on vehicle permits, visit our website


You need a permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (PIW).

Waste transport operators can apply to:

  • get a new permit
  • change a permit
  • transfer a permit.

Follow the steps below to learn how to choose and complete the right application form. 

For more help:

For help in languages other than English, call Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450.

  • Step 1: Read the guidance materials

    Before you apply for a vehicle permit, read the relevant guidance:

  • Step 2: Choose the correct form

    Apply for a new permit

    If you’re new to the waste transport business, or want to get a permit for a new vehicle, you’ll first need to register on the EPA Interaction Portal.

    To register:

    • Visit the EPA Interaction Portal.
    • Select the “Create Account” link below the login fields, on the left-hand side of the page.
    • Select “Register on behalf of a business” even if you are a sole trader.
    • Follow the steps of entering a business email address, and the verification process.

    See the portal help page for more information.

    Once you have created your account, go into the EPA Interaction Portal. Click on the "vehicle permit" link on the left-hand side of the page.

    The applicant may be the vehicle owner or vehicle lessee. If the applicant is a lessee, you will have to provide your lease agreement.

    Note: The name registered on the EPA Interaction Portal will be the name in which the permit will be issued.

    Change a permit

    If you have a permit but some of your details are changing, such as your licence plate, your company’s name, or the type of waste that you’re carrying, you’ll need to fill out an Application for amendment of permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (Form F1008).

    Transfer a permit

    If you are the new owner of a vehicle that already has a permit, you’ll need to fill out an Application for transfer of permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (Form 1010).

  • Step 3: Complete the form

    Part 1: Applicant details

    For new permit and amendment applications, you’ll need to be able to either:

    • show that you own the vehicle in question by being listed as the current registered operator with VicRoads, or
    • prove that you’re leasing out the vehicle by attaching a lease agreement.

    For transfers, only the new owner may apply. Before submitting your application, the process of transferring vehicle ownership with VicRoads will need to have been completed.

    If you’re applying on behalf of a company, you’ll need to list your:

    • Australian Business Number (ABN)
    • Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • authorised contact person who we can contact to discuss the application.

    Parts 2 & 3: Declaration of relevant offences

    Applicants need to disclose if they have committed any relevant offences. Relevant offences are defined in Section 20C of the Environment Protection Act 1970. Relevant offences will be considered by EPA in determining whether applicants are fit and proper persons to hold a vehicle permit.

    All applicants, including corporations, must complete the relevant offence declaration section of the online form.

    The additional relevant offence declaration must also be completed by corporate applicants in respect of directors / persons concerned in the management of the corporation in accordance with section 20C(3)(c) of the Environment Protection Act 1970.

    For both declarations, applicants that select 'yes' must attach a statutory declaration. EPA will be in contact regarding any additional information required.

    Further information on the relevant offence declaration can be found in the guideline Permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (publication IWRG811).

    Part 4: Permit and vehicle details

    Ensure you complete all fields (as relevant).

    Select the body type as identified in the appendices of Vehicle guidance: Non-tanker vehicles/trailers (publication IWRG814) or Vehicle guidance: Tanker/tanker trailer (publication IWRG816).

    The final field in Part 4 only applies when the vehicle is of an alternative design, or has methods of assembly, not mentioned in this guidance.

    Part 5: Declaration of applicant

    Don't forget to fill in your vehicle registration number and sign the declaration in Part 5. Applications will not be accepted unless this declaration has been completed and signed by the applicant.

    NOTE: When you apply for a new permit using the EPA Interaction Portal, you don't need to sign the declaration.

    By signing this declaration, you are declaring that:

    • the information you have provided in your application is true and correct
    • your vehicle has adequate current insurance
    • your vehicle is fit for the purpose of transporting prescribed industrial waste specified in your application, and meets the vehicle control requirements specified in the vehicle guidance table (Appendix 1) relevant to your vehicle category and body type –

    The vehicle photo guide complements the above guidance by providing photo examples of the vehicle control requirements.

    Part 6: Declaration and checklist

    The declaration and/or checklist is to be completed by the applicant, either on the online form for a new permit, or on the hard copy forms for amendment or transfer. Make sure all the mandatory forms are included in your online or hard copy application. 

    If you are a tanker applicant applying for flammable solvents, you will also need to make sure you have attached an AS2809 tanker design approval.

    Part 7: Waste to be transported – relevant to new permit and amendment applications

    For new online applications, waste codes shall be displayed according to the vehicle body type selected in the Application and Vehicle Details tab.

    For amendment applications, the list of waste codes is included in the permit amendment application form (Form F1008). Only select the codes that are appropriate for your vehicle.

  • Step 4: Submit your permit application

    Do not send any fee with your application. EPA will let you know the correct fee, based on the fee schedule provided in Appendix A of Permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (publication IWRG811).

    Applying for a new permit

    Register on the EPA Interaction Portal, and apply for a new vehicle permit.

    Permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (publication IWRG811) provides details on how to apply by using the online form.

    Changing or transferring a permit

    Email your application in PDF or Word format to

    Incomplete applications will not be accepted, and you will need to reapply.


Reviewed 9 December 2020