EPA’s new website is under construction. It contains links to our previous site while we add information.
On this page
These guidelines have been developed to consolidate waste publications under the Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009 and provide links to useful resources. They are set out using the waste hierarchy, starting with avoidance.
Find previous publications and their new names in the Industrial waste resource guidelines summary sheet.
Find out how to manage industrial waste the right way.
Policy and legislation
- Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009
- Industrial waste guidelines – these guidelines are referred to in the Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009 and contain requirements that apply to the transport and disposal of waste, asbestos and the threshold values for hazard categorisation and management of soil and solid industrial waste.
- Regulatory impact statement (publication 1275)
- Response to comments (IWRG201)
- Compliance and enforcement policy (publication 1388)
Avoidance or reduction
- Waste avoidance and reduction (IWRG300)
Reuse and recycling
Secondary beneficial reuse
- Secondary beneficial reuse notification (for further information see Waste transportation guidance).
Classification for reuse
- Classification for reuse
- Contaminated soil - organic compounds (IWRG424)
- Grease interceptor trap waste (IWRG421)
- Large containers (>200 L) contaminated with PIW (IWRG422)
- Oil filters (IWRG423)
- Guidelines for environmental management: Biosolids land application (publication 943)
- Use of biosolids as geotechnical fill (publication 1288)
Managing and reusing fill material (factsheets)
- The fact sheets (publication 1624) are designed to provide advice on the roles and responsibilities to managers of fills sites, generators of fill material and industrial waste, and transporters.
- Research, development and demonstration (RD&D) approval (publication 1369)
- Waste categorisation (IWRG600)
Prescribed industrial waste with specific handling requirements
- Asbestos transport and disposal (IWRG611)
- Asbestos-contaminated soil (EPA/Worksafe)
- Landfills that accept asbestos
- Clinical and related waste operational guidance (IWRG612)
- Soil hazard categorisation and management (IWRG621)
- Acid sulfate soil and rock (publication 655)
- Arsenic in mine tailings, sand and rock (IWRG431)
- Soil remediation technologies in Victoria (IWRG622)
- Thermal treatment technologies (publication 1402)
• Industrial water reuse (IWR632)
• Commercial food waste - EPA position (publication 1606)
- Farm waste management (IWRG641)
- Motor vehicle repair and service premises (IWRG642)
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) management (IWRG643)
- Used containers - transport and management (IWRG644)
Sampling and analysis
- Sampling and analysis of waters, wastewaters, soils and wastes (IWRG701)
- Soil sampling (IWRG702)
- Permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (IWRG811)
- Movement of controlled waste into Victoria (IWRG831)
- Movement of prescribed industrial waste from Victoria (IWRG832)
Classification for disposal
Reviewed 12 August 2020