Your business needs a licence if: 

Scheduled premises fall into the following categories: 

  • A: waste treatment, disposal and recycling 
  • B: primary industry and allied operations 
  • C: mining 
  • D: animal derived by-products 
  • E: textiles 
  • F: wood and wood derivatives 
  • G: chemicals including petroleum 
  • H: non-metallic minerals 
  • I: metals and engineering 
  • J: printing 
  • K: utilities 
  • L: other.

Further information on these categories is available in the Environment Protection (Scheduled Premises) Regulations 2017 (Schedule 1 – Scheduled premises table).

You can apply for: 

  • a licence after a works approval 
  • a licence amendment after a works approval. 

Read next 

About licences 

How to apply for a licence 

Annual performance statements 

Fit and proper person test   

Reviewed 7 June 2021