The Environment Protection Act 1970 (EP Act) generally requires a person to have a permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (PIW) if the person is conducting a business involving the transport of prescribed industrial waste, unless the following applies:

  • the load is destined for a site that is exempt from the transport permit and tracking system
  • the net load being transported is less than 50 kilograms or litres, and there is no fee or reward.

You can get a permit to transport PIW by lodging an application and relevant fee.

Guidance on the application processes for new permits, renewal of permits, transfers of permits and permit amendments is provided in Permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (publication IWRG811). This guideline replaces publication 436: Instructions for completion: Application for a permit to transport prescribed waste.

Application forms are available on the waste transport forms page.

More information:

Improving the vehicle permitting process

From 4 December 2017, EPA has implemented the following improvements to the vehicle permitting process: 

Improvements Notes
  • Applicants are responsible for self-assessment to ensure their vehicle is fit for purpose.
  • Applicants are no longer required to submit photographs of their vehicle.
  • Forms have been updated and can be submitted electronically.
  • Applicants need to declare relevant offences.
  • EPA will no longer assess vehicle photographs.
  • Relevant offences will be considered by EPA.
  • You must ensure that your vehicle is suitable for the waste types you apply for and complete a self-assessment using the EPA guidance.
  • Relevant offences will be considered when EPA is determining whether applicants are fit and proper persons and able to hold a vehicle permit.
Improvements Notes
  • More standard conditions are included in the permit approval.
  • The updated conditions are not new requirements. They provide further clarity to permit holders on existing vehicle control requirements.
Improvements Notes
  • Permit holders are responsible for compliance.
  • Vehicle compliance inspections have increased.
  • EPA has increased compliance audits on PIW transporters through desktop assessments and roadside operations.
  • VicRoads officers are now capable of conducting EPA permitted vehicle inspections and can identify vehicles illegally transporting PIW.

Read next

Transporting prescribed industrial waste (PIW)

Waste transport certificates

Accredited agents

Interstate transport of waste

Secondary beneficial reuse of waste

Waste transport FAQ

How to manage industrial waste


This page was copied from EPA's old website. It was last updated on 24 September 2019.

Reviewed 25 August 2020