When you're transporting prescribed industrial waste (PIW), you must have a permit. To apply, download the appropriate waste transport forms.

See how to complete a vehicle permit form for instructions about completing and submitting the forms.

Driver training to transport prescribed industrial waste

Anyone who drives a vehicle transporting PIW must have a driver training certificate. This is completed through the Victorian Waste Management Association, who run a one-day training course. The course covers topics including waste management, vehicle preparation and emergency procedure guides.

Vehicle safety

When you apply for or renew a waste transport permit, you must make sure that your vehicle can safely transport the waste specified. There are requirements for tanker and non-tanker vehicles.

Vehicle signage for transporting prescribed industrial waste

You must display the correct signage on your vehicle if you're transporting:

  • PIW of 500L/kg or more classified as dangerous goods under the Dangerous Goods Act 1985
  • any amount of clinical waste or cytotoxic waste
  • non-hazardous waste as per Schedule 4 of the Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009.

The Australian dangerous goods code describes what kind of signage you need for waste, which can also be classified as dangerous goods.

Read next 

How to complete a vehicle permit form

Vehicle permit application guide (publication 1925)

Vehicle safety standards for industrial waste transportation


Reviewed 9 December 2020