As Victoria’s environmental regulator, our role during incidents like the one at Kealba landfill is to:
- enforce the Environment Protection Act 1970
- reduce risks to human health and the environment
- prevent future potential harm.
We’ve put formal requirements in place about managing the site. This includes a Clean Up Notice (CUN) (PDF 222KB) to make sure the landfill operator:
- continues to manage and remove the underground hotspots
- protects the local community
- informs the community about local air quality, and what is happening on site.
We monitored the air from 2–17 December and didn’t find any issues of concern. The landfill operator is now doing air monitoring as required in our notice. We’ll continue to give advice to the landfill operator and the technical specialist.
The landfill operator is now undertaking remediation work.
EPA received 56 reports of odour during September 2020. While odour is clearly still an issue affecting the wellbeing of local residents, air quality monitoring continues to show there are no issues of health concern.
Reviewed 14 December 2020