Kalbar Operations Pty Ltd is an Australian mining company. It is proposing to develop a mineral sands mine in East Gippsland. The project involves the extraction of valuable heavy minerals. These are used in communications, transport, medical technology and renewable energy, and come from the high-grade area of the Glenaladale ore body about 20 km northwest of Bairnsdale.
The proposed project consists of:
- extraction of 170 Mt of mineral sands ore to produce about 8 Mt of heavy mineral concentrate (HMC) over 15 to 20 years
- an overall area covering approximately 1,675 heactares with open cut mining of the ore
- onsite processing of ore in a wet concentrator plant to extract HMC
- installation of mine infrastructure, including water supply, tailings storage and office
- water treatment and management, including stormwater and water from offsite sources, to ensure offsite water discharges are appropriately treated prior to discharge
- progressive rehabilitation of the site to return the land to agriculture and native vegetation.
General and project approvals enquiries
You can review the approval documents and comment on the project.
To find out more about the project and review the submitted documents go to the Kalbar Mineral Sands EES page https://ees.fingerboardsproject.com.au/
Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project: EPA's role and approvals
Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project: Environment Effects Statement.
Reviewed 1 October 2020