We set standards for noise

Standards for noise are covered in our guideline, Noise from industry in regional Victoria (NIRV) (publication 1411).


  • sets recommended noise levels
  • applies to commercial and industrial premises
  • doesn’t apply to wind turbines at wind energy facilities.

NIRV only applies outside the Melbourne metropolitan area. In the metropolitan area, SEPP noise policy N-1 applies.

We enforce guidelines for noise

The NIRV is an EPA guideline. It’s not an act of law, but can still be enforceable under the law. This happens when a business has an EPA licence or permit, with conditions to comply with EPA guidelines.

We give information about noise

EPA provides publications and guidelines about noise:

More about commercial and industrial noise

About commercial and industrial noise

Commercial and industrial noise and the law

Report commercial and industrial noise

Noise and your health

Reviewed 25 November 2019