We set standards for noise
Standards for noise are covered in our guideline, Noise from industry in regional Victoria (NIRV) (publication 1411).
- sets recommended noise levels
- applies to commercial and industrial premises
- doesn’t apply to wind turbines at wind energy facilities.
NIRV only applies outside the Melbourne metropolitan area. In the metropolitan area, SEPP noise policy N-1 applies.
We enforce guidelines for noise
The NIRV is an EPA guideline. It’s not an act of law, but can still be enforceable under the law. This happens when a business has an EPA licence or permit, with conditions to comply with EPA guidelines.
We give information about noise
EPA provides publications and guidelines about noise:
- A guide to the measurement and analysis of noise (publication 280)
- Noise from industry in regional Victoria (NIRV) (publication 1411)
- SEPP N-1 and NIRV explanatory notes (publication 1412)
- Applying NIRV to proposed and existing industry (publication 1413)
- Guidelines on noise from frost fans (publication 1043)
- Noise from outdoor shooting ranges (publication 1508)
More about commercial and industrial noise
Reviewed 25 November 2019