We regulate music noise

EPA regulates music noise from indoor venues, outdoor venues and outdoor events.

We are responsible for developing policies and guidelines for controlling music noise from venues and other public places.

Other authorities – such as councils, police and Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation – use the policies and guidelines to help with their investigations. We can advise them on the best way to apply the policies and guidelines. We can also help them to measure the music noise.

We issue event permits

EPA is responsible for issuing event permits to make sure music noise from events will comply with the law.

We need to know more about your event so we can tell you what applies to you. Check with your local council or contact us.

More about music noise from venues and events

About music noise 

Music noise: the law

Measuring music noise

Outdoor event permits

Report music noise 

Noise and your health

Reviewed 25 November 2019