EPA’s new website is under construction. It contains links to our previous site while we add information.

Waste is any material or substance we don’t use anymore, and we've discarded. Waste can cause pollution when it's not disposed in the right way.

Local councils collect household (municipal) waste and recycling through kerbside collections. If you hire a skip bin to get rid of waste, it’s your responsibility to check that it goes to a licensed receiver or disposal site.

There are schemes to help prevent products like household chemicals and paint going to landfill.

There are special rules for some types of waste. You must manage this waste in the right way, especially if it's:

  • hazardous, like asbestos
  • bushfire waste
  • construction and demolition waste
  • prescribed industrial waste (PIW).

The Victorian Landfill Register lists all currently open and known closed landfills in Victoria. It includes the type and amount of waste accepted. 

You can report pollution and littering to EPA. This might include the dumping of waste on unlicensed properties, tyre stockpiles or rubbish thrown from a vehicle.

Read next

For business: waste and recycling information

Learn about waste 

Report littering from a vehicle

What to do with bushfire waste

Reusing and recycling tyres

Waste and recycling stewardship

Hazardous waste (prescribed industrial waste)

Hiring a skip bin: your responsibilities



Find an asbestos landfill

Construction and demolition

Construction and demolition waste

Construction and demolition waste: the law



Victorian Landfill Register

Closed landfills

Landfills and prescribed industrial waste

Kerbside recycling

Kerbside recycling bins

Kerbside recycling report: 2014–15

Kerbside recycling report: 2013–14

Kerbside recycling report: 2012–13

Kerbside recycling report: 2011–12

Reviewed 13 December 2019