It’s against the law to litter from a car or vehicle. You're also responsible if one of your passengers litters from your vehicle.

If someone reports you for littering from a vehicle, EPA will investigate and can take action.

We may send you an infringement notice. This is a fine that you either:

  • pay
  • dispute.

Examples of littering fines are:

  • $330 for a small piece of litter
  • $661 for a lit cigarette or burning litter. 

Find out how EPA calculates fees and fines.

How to pay your vehicle littering fine

You must pay your fine before the due date on your infringement notice.

Pay in person

Pay your fine at any post office.

Pay by phone

Call 1300 372 842 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) to pay your fine by phone.

You can pay using Mastercard or Visa. You’ll need to give us your infringement number. You’ll find this on your infringement notice.

Pay with internet or phone banking

You can pay your fine using internet or phone banking (BPAY).

  • Biller code: 150714
  • Reference: 45 followed by your infringement number. 

If you can’t afford your vehicle littering fine

Call EPA on 1300 372 842 to find out if you can pay in instalments if you can’t afford your fine.

How to dispute your vehicle littering fine

If you didn't commit the offence, you can dispute your vehicle littering fine.

Pay or dispute litter fine infographic

Send us a statutory declaration

If you’re not responsible for the vehicle littering, you can send us a statutory declaration.

A statutory declaration is a legal document where you can tell us (nominate) either:

  • who littered from your vehicle
  • who was responsible for your vehicle at the time. For example, if you loaned your car to someone else when the littering happened.

You must give us the person’s full name and residential address. We’ll reissue the fine to the person you name. If you don’t know the person’s address, you must give us reasons why.

You can also use a statutory declaration form to provide a detailed statement about why you are not responsible, and why you can’t name who is responsible.

To send us a statutory declaration, fill out the relevant statutory declaration form.

Email a scanned copy of your statutory declaration to

Or, you can post your litter statutory declaration to:

EPA Victoria
GPO Box 4395
Melbourne VIC 3001

It’s against the law to send us a statutory declaration with false information.

NOTE, due to coronavirus:

  • please send statutory declarations by email where possible
  • statutory declarations can be witnessed remotely. Instead of meeting in person, you can arrange to ‘appear before’ the witness by audio-visual link. See the Department of Justice and Community Safety website for more information.

Apply for an internal review

You may be able to apply for an internal review of your littering fine. For example, because:

  • the littering didn’t happen
  • of mistaken identity
  • you littered because of a medical emergency
  • have an intellectual disability, are addicted to drugs or alcohol, are homeless or are experiencing family violence.

The grounds for internal review fact sheet gives more information about the reasons why you may be able to apply for an internal review.

To apply, fill out the application for internal review.

Email a scanned copy of your application for internal review to

Or, you can post it to:

EPA Victoria
GPO Box 4395
Melbourne VIC 3001

You must give us evidence to support your application.

NOTE: Due to coronavirus, please send internal review applications by email where possible.

Ask to take your fine to court

You can ask for your fine to be heard at court. This is so a magistrate or judge can decide what happens.

To ask for the fine to be taken to court, write to us at:

EPA Victoria
GPO Box 4395
Melbourne VIC 3001

If it’s not safe to name the person who littered from the vehicle

If you can’t name the person who littered because of family violence, Fines Victoria may be able to withdraw your fine.

To find out if you can get your fine withdrawn, you can either:

The Orange Door gives guidance on clearing your browser history.

If you don’t pay or dispute your vehicle littering fine

You must pay or dispute your litter fine. If you don’t, you may have to pay a penalty reminder notice fee.

You may be able to apply for an internal review if you didn’t know we fined you. For example, you were overseas, in hospital or changed your address.

You must apply for an internal review within 14 days of finding out about your infringement notice.

If we withdraw your penalty reminder notice fee, you still need to pay the original vehicle littering fine.

Read more about vehicle littering 

How to report littering from cars and vehicles

EPA’s litter reporting statistics

Reviewed 6 August 2020