On this page

Types of littering you can report

You can report someone to EPA for littering:  

  • from inside a vehicle
  • just before they get into a vehicle
  • just after they get out of a vehicle.

This helps us prevent pollution in Victoria.  

Examples of litter include cigarette butts, plastic bags, food packaging and drinks containers. You should report littering within 7 days of when you saw it happen.

You can report litter from a vehicle in a car park or on a road. It can be moving or parked. You can report littering by the driver or a passenger.

We deal with litter reports for vehicles registered in Victoria and interstate. Litter reports for interstate vehicles must be submitted on the litter report form (PDF).

If the litter isn’t from a vehicle, you can report it to your local council.

You can report unwanted leaflets and other advertising materials in mailboxes and on parked cars to the Distribution Standards Board

Report littering online

Register and report littering from or near a vehicle online using the EPA Interaction Portal.  

Changes to EPA’s Report Litter app

We’re introducing an easier, faster way to report littering. On 1 July 2021, a new online form will replace the EPA Report Litter app. You’ll no longer need to download an app to report litter.

To prepare for this update we’re retiring the old Report Litter app. We’ll remove the app from app stores in mid-April 2021.

If you already have the app installed, you can continue using it until 30 June 2021. The app will stop working on 1 July 2021.

There are many ways to report littering from a vehicle:

Report littering using the EPA pollution hotline

Call our pollution hotline on 1300 372 842 (24 hours) to report littering over the phone.  

Report littering by post

Fill in our litter report form (PDF) and post it to us. Our contact details are on the form.

Information you need to give us

  1. Who – car details, registration number, colour and what the driver or passenger who littered looks like. 
  2. What – a description of the litter. For example, a lit or unlit cigarette. 
  3. When – the exact time and date you saw the person littering. 
  4. Where – where the car was, what road it was travelling on and what intersection was the closest. 
  5. How – if the person threw the litter from the vehicle or dropped it before they left or got in. 

When you report littering to us, you must confirm that:

  • you understand EPA’s terms and conditions
  • you understand you must submit accurate reports
  • you understand it’s against the law to knowingly give us false or misleading information 
  • you’ll attend court as a witness, if needed. 

Photos, videos and other evidence

You can email any evidence you have to contact@epa.vic.gov.au. Include the vehicle registration number in the subject line. 

Examples of evidence include photos, videos, and voice recordings of the person littering. 

Try to keep any handwritten notes, photographs or videos about your littering report. We may need these again if the case goes to court. 

Remember, it’s against the law to use your mobile phone while driving. 

How to report litter infographic

After you report littering from a car or vehicle

When you report littering, our enforcement officers will investigate the incident and may be able to take action. 

We may fine the person you saw littering. Examples of fines are:

  • $330 for a small piece of litter
  • $661 for a lit cigarette or burning litter. 

Find out how EPA calculates fees and fines.

The person you reported for littering may dispute the fine. They can ask us to review the case. The case may go to court so a magistrate or judge can decide what happens. 

When you report a person for littering, we won’t tell the person who you are. The only way they’ll find out you reported them is if the case goes to court.

Being a witness at court 

It’s not likely you’ll need to attend court as a witness to littering from a vehicle. 

If you're called as a witness, you may be asked to give a written statement about the littering you saw. The accused person can read this statement before the court date. 

You may need to appear at court and talk about the littering you saw. You may be asked questions by:

  • the accused person’s legal representative 
  • the accused person 
  • the magistrate or judge. 

As a witness, an application can be made to the court to recover any loss of wages you may incur.

If you refuse to be a witness

You should attend court if you’re asked to be a witness. 

When you report littering from a vehicle, you must agree to attend court if needed. If you refuse to be a witness at court, we may not accept any future litter reports from you. 

Report other types of littering

If the litter isn’t from a vehicle, you can report it to your local council. 

You can report unwanted leaflets and other advertising materials in mailboxes and on parked cars to the Distribution Standards Board.

Read more about vehicle littering

How to pay or dispute a vehicle littering fine

EPA’s litter reporting statistics

Reviewed 24 March 2021