Waste crime typically includes stockpiling and illegal storage, transport or use of hazardous waste in large amounts. It can include illegally:
- abandoning waste materials.
Hazardous waste can be any waste that could be harmful to human health and the environment. This may include:
- industrial cleaning products
- industrial solvents
- contaminated waste.
Waste crime is often fraud-based. Examples of this can include:
- the misclassification of waste
- misuse of waste transport certificates
- acceptance of prescribed waste at unlicensed facilities
- providing waste removal services and then subsequently illegally dumping waste
- providing false or misleading information about waste at a licensed facility.
Reviewed 20 December 2019