We use authorised disposals and discharge (ADD) in emergency situations. They are used for the temporary management of risks. We only grant an ADD once we’re sure an activity won’t have adverse effects on human and environmental health.
You need to demonstrate the ADD is for at least one of the following:
- a temporary emergency
- the temporary relief of a public nuisance or community hardship, including emergency events such as clean up after a bushfire or flood
- setting up and using any part of a new plant or equipment
- repair or decommissioning any part of plant or equipment. Decommissioning means that you stop using equipment and may take it apart or remove it from use.
Why ADDs are different to permissions
ADDs are authorisations, separate to our standard permissions such as licences, permits and registrations. An EPA authorisation means we authorise or allow an activity that would otherwise require a permission. We only grant them in specific circumstances and only on a temporary basis.
How to apply for ADDs
Owners, occupiers and operators of commercial or industrial premises can apply for ADDs. You don’t need to hold a current permission with us.
How to apply for an ADD in an emergency
In an emergency, please call EPA on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC). We’re here 24 hours.
About the ADD approval process
We assess all ADDs before approval. We make decisions to issue an ADD on an individual basis.
During an emergency, we will process your application within three business days or sooner.
ADDs are valid for the time it takes to perform the activity. The maximum period an ADD remains valid is 120 days.
Application fees generally apply when the ADD is for:
- the commissioning of plant equipment
- plant equipment’s repair, decommissioning or dismantling.
There’s no fee if an ADD is for an emergency or temporary relief of a public nuisance or community hardship. We will confirm the application fees with you when you apply.
Compliance with ADDs
ADDs will be subject to conditions. This is to minimise risk to human health and the environment. You must comply with these conditions or your ADD will be invalid and penalties may apply.
Reviewed 19 July 2021