With less regulatory burden than licences, permits sit in the mid-tier of risk within of the permissions scheme (publication 1799). Some activities requiring a permit are: 

  • medium-scale waste and resource recovery 
  • waste transport – including interstate transport of certain wastes 
  • supplying waste – as part of a use/re-use scheme (for example supplying reclaimed wastewater) 
  • operating an outdoor entertainment event or concert  
  • livestock saleyards or holding pens (with waste solely to land).

The legal basis of permits is in section 81 of the Environment Protection Act 2017 (the Act).

There are permits for various industries including animal, waste and outdoor concerts. To find out more, see Types of permits.

How to apply

You can apply for a permit online.

For more application support, see How to apply for a permit

Assessment process

Applications for permits are subject a standardised assessment process. We assess permit applications within 15 or 42 business days. A permit is valid for a maximum of five years, with the option to renew before it expires.


As a permission holder, we expect you to know your legal obligations. We also expect you to know your operational risks and have adequate risk management controls in place. Non-compliance with the Act or a permit condition is enforced in line with the Compliance and enforcement policy (publication 1798).

Read more about permissions




How to surrender your licence or permit

How to transfer your licence or permit

Licence and permit amendments

How to amend your licence or permit

How to apply for an A05b Municipal landfills servicing less than 5000 people permission

How to apply for an A11 permit for transporting controlled waste into Victoria

How to apply for an A13a/b Waste and resource recovery permission

How to apply for an A16 permission supply or use of reportable priority waste permission

How to apply for an A17 Containment of Category D waste soil permission

How to apply for an A18 discharge or deposit of waste to aquifer permission

How to apply for an A19 temporary onsite waste treatment permission

Reviewed 23 November 2021