PM2.5 and other particles in smog can impact the human heart and lungs.
Smog can be especially harmful to people who have heart and lung conditions. When it’s smoggy outside, people with these conditions should:
- take their prescribed medication
- avoid heavy outdoor exercise.
How you can help reduce the emissions that cause smog
- avoid driving when possible. Maintain your vehicle, and try to use public transport, cycle or walk
- follow local council guidelines about burning off
- use wood heaters in the right way, and don’t use them when another heating source is available.
Find out more about smog
Reviewed 16 March 2021