Music noise from entertainment venues and events can have an impact on people nearby. It can be a problem when it disturbs people’s sleep. Ongoing noise can impact your health.

Music noise is music you can hear at a residence or where people live and sleep, schools, and childcare centres. It can include live or recorded music noise coming from a large sports facility or a nightclub. Also, music noise coming from an event on public land.

Some noise from entertainment venues and events doesn’t come under music noise. For example, human voices not associated with the music comes under ‘patron noise’.

Noise from deliveries and mechanical equipment, such as a venue cool room, comes under commercial, industrial and trade noise.

For information about residential noise like stereos and musical instruments, see the residential noise page.

Find out more about music noise

Reviewed 11 August 2021