Under the Environment Protection Act 2017, EPA is responsible for administering regulations and developing guidelines for controlling residential noise. This includes the Environment Protection Regulations 2021 (the Regulations). These regulations list noise sources and what times noise is unreasonable. The regulations apply only when your neighbours can hear the noise in their home.

EPA has also developed guidelines to help explain what noise might be unreasonable, and how to assess noise, including:  

Why EPA doesn’t investigate residential noise complaints

While we make noise law, it isn’t EPA’s role to investigate noise complaints from residences. The law gives your local council the powers to do this. You can report your noise complaint to your local council. Many councils have information on their websites about how they respond to noise complaints. It is a good idea to check their website first. It is also a good idea to talk to your neighbour to try and come to a solution together. Outside business hours, you can report residential noise, such as loud music from parties, to the police.

Councils and police use the Environment Protection Act 2017, the Regulations and EPA guidelines to help with their investigations. EPA provides information for councils to investigate and take action using the residential noise laws. We can also advise them on the best way to apply the law when it comes to noise.

More about residential noise

About residential noise

Reduce noise from your home

Residential noise and the law

Residential noise and your health

Report residential noise

Reviewed 12 November 2021