On this page

As a licence holder, you must report on your environmental performance for the previous financial year. This is your annual performance statement (APS). This lists performance against each licence condition and requires an explanation of all non-compliance incidents.

In response to coronavirus, we have granted a two-month extension for licence holders to submit their APS in 2020. Licence holders must submit their APS by 30 November 2020.

APS reporting does not replace the need for immediate reporting of non-compliances to EPA. Licence holders must explain any non-compliance in their APS, including what actions have been taken to address the issue.

How to prepare and submit an annual performance statement

Annual performance statements must be submitted to EPA by 30 September each year using the EPA Interaction Portal.

APS apply to the standard financial reporting year - 1 July to 30 June.

A licence holder may choose to use an independent specialist to help with the preparation of its APS. Regardless of the assistance provided, the accuracy and veracity of the APS is still the responsibility of the company’s most senior officer, who signs the statement. By signing the APS, they are testifying to its reliability and are, therefore, satisfied that the information provided is accurate, complete and verifiable.

APSs are legal documents that must be signed by the most senior officer of the Australian-registered company to which the licence has been issued; for example, the chief executive officer, managing director or president.

Help with annual performance statements

Annual performance statement (APS) guidelines (publication 1320).

Significant penalties exist for providing false or misleading information in an APS, or for concealing relevant information, as specified in the Environment Protection Act 1970.

Annual performance statements are publicly available

EPA checks all submitted APSs for completeness, after which they are published on our website. Some information that EPA requires from licence holders to support the submission of their APS has been deemed commercially sensitive and will not be made publicly available. For licence holders that discharge to air, this information includes:

  • Schedule category A01 (prescribed industrial waste management)
    • total prescribed industrial waste (PIW) received
    • total PIW received
    • total amount of each waste (by waste code) received.
  • Schedule category A05 (landfills) only
    • for each cell, the total and current capacity
    • total volume of waste received.
  • Schedule category A01 and A05
    • as above for schedule category A05
    • total volume of hazardous category C and category B waste received.

For all licence holders:

  • details of any enforcement action taken against the licence holder by another organisation.

This approach is consistent with section 60 of the Environment Protection Act 1970 which prohibits EPA from disclosing commercially sensitive information without consent. While some information will not be made publicly available, it is still important that EPA receives it, as it enables us to aggregate data, map trends and target our compliance efforts accordingly.

Anyone wishing to obtain documents held by EPA is entitled to apply to see them under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1982. If such an application relates to documents supplied to EPA by a business, EPA will ask that business if it objects to the release of any commercially sensitive documents.

If there is a dispute on this issue, an impartial body, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), has the jurisdiction to adjudicate on their release or non-release.

Read next

About licences

Help with annual performance statements

Reviewed 16 September 2021