Transport noise from individual vehicles, road traffic, trams and trains can disturb sleep and have other health impacts.  

In Victoria, we have Regulations to protect people against any impact from noisy vehicles under 4.5 tonnes. The noise limits apply only when a vehicle is on the road. It’s against the law to use, or permit the use of, a vehicle that breaks these noise limits.  

You can report noisy vehicles driving on a road to the police. You need to give the licence plate number and a vehicle description. If an authorised EPA officer or the police observe a noisy vehicle, EPA can issue a notice. This means the owner of the vehicle will need to get a noise test. If you think your own vehicle may be too noisy, book a vehicle noise test.  

Noise from a vehicle idling at a residence for a long time may be unreasonable. You can report this to your local council.  

Vehicles heavier than 4.5 tonnes when fully loaded come under the Heavy Vehicle National Law. Report noisy exhausts from large trucks and buses over 4.5 tonnes to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator

You can report concerns about road traffic noise to the Department of Transport, your local council, or the companies that manage the road. Department of Transport manages road traffic noise from vehicles travelling on freeways and main roads. Local councils manage local roads and their impacts. Privately operated roads, EastLink, CityLink and Peninsula Link, need to meet noise standards. 

You can report noise from trains and trams to the companies that manage them. This applies to noise from track and rolling stock maintenance. Only contact the Public Transport Ombudsman after you have given public transport companies a chance to respond to your concern.

Read more about transport noise

Reviewed 11 November 2021