Responding to reports of noise
EPA responds to reports of noise from commercial properties and industrial facilities. These include:
- manufacturing plants
- transfer stations and recycling facilities
- concrete batch plants
- facilities with large air conditioning and refrigeration equipment.
Advising councils about noise
EPA provides advice about noise for councils to use in planning decisions and when resolving noise complaints. This includes guidelines on controlling noise:
- Noise control guidelines (publication 1254)
Providing noise advice for businesses
We provide advice for businesses to understand the noise laws. This advice includes:
- Summary of the noise framework (publication 1757)
- Guide to the Environment Protection Regulations (publication 1753)
We provide noise guidelines to help businesses comply with the law and minimise their risks from noise on people and the environment. These include:
- Technical guide: Measuring and analysing industry noise and music noise (publication 1997)
- Noise guideline: Assessing low frequency noise (publication 1996)
- Guidelines on noise from frost fans (publication 1043)
- Noise from outdoor shooting ranges (publication 1508)
We also provide information for farmers and agricultural businesses.
Find out more about how businesses can control noise.
Read more about commercial, industrial and trade noise
Reviewed 11 November 2021