Our guidelines and Regulations aim to protect the community from commercial and residential construction noise.

Providing guidelines about construction noise

EPA provides information on controlling noise from construction and demolition sites, see Civil construction, building and demolition guide (publication 1834).

We give advice on using the guide to government agencies responsible for approving major projects. We also give advice to those responsible for the construction of major projects and their contractors.

Controlling residential construction noise

EPA is involved in making regulations for controlling residential construction noise. This includes the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2018.

However, it isn’t EPA’s role to investigate noise complaints from residential construction. Councils are responsible for this. They can use the Environment Protection Act 1970, the Regulations and guidelines to resolve issues. We can also advise them on the best way to apply the law. 

You should report your noise complaint to your local council, who will investigate it.  

Read more about construction noise

About construction noise

Construction noise and the law

Report construction noise

About roadworks and major infrastructure noise

Noise guidance for business: Residential construction

Noise guidance for business: Commercial construction

Noise guidance for business: Land development

Reviewed 17 December 2020