EPA may be able to investigate if you’re concerned about smoke in your local area.

Call our pollution hotline on 1300 372 842. We’re here 24 hours.

Always call 000 in an emergency. 

Smoke from wood heaters

Smoke from wood heaters can have an impact on health and quality of life. If you have concerns about smoke from a neighbour’s wood heater, try to talk to them. They may not be aware there's a problem.

If you're unable to resolve the issue, contact the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria on 1800 658 528.

You can report woodsmoke pollution to your local council. They can also give you advice and information on wood smoke pollution in your neighbourhood. 

Your council has powers under the nuisance provisions of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. Under these provisions, the owner of a property or the person causing the nuisance must take all reasonable steps to eliminate the nuisance. It is council's role to investigate when a complaint is made about wood smoke. 

Read more about smoke 

About smoke 

Smoke and your health 

Smoke and the law

Emergency information

Reviewed 13 May 2020