Public interest disclosure is when a person reports public employees or organisations for improper or suspected improper conduct. Individuals, not businesses, can make public interest disclosures. 

The Public Interest Disclosures Act 2012 defines improper conduct. It includes, but isn’t limited to:  

  • major risks to environmental or public health 
  • corrupt conduct 
  • crimes.

Our policy (PDF) supports public interest disclosures. You can report known or suspected improper conduct that involves our: 

  • employees 
  • officers 
  • members. 

We take all reasonable steps to protect from harm people who make disclosures about EPA. We also give a fair hearing to anyone subject to a disclosure. 

How to make a disclosure

To make a disclosure about EPA, our employees or our officers, you must call or write to:  

The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)

Level 1, North Tower

459 Collins Street

Melbourne Victoria 3000

GPO Box 24234, Melbourne Victoria 3001

Telephone: 1300 735 135

IBAC uses its complaint policy to deal with disclosures. You don’t have to reveal your name to IBAC.  

Complaints about EPA that don’t involve improper conduct

Find out how to:

Contact us with questions about how to make a complaint. 

Reviewed 9 September 2021