We’re responsible for protecting the environment from hazardous leaks and spills.
To achieve this, we:
- enforce policies, like the State Environment Protection Policy (Waters)
- identify pollution through environmental audits
- monitor water pollution
- give guidance on Storing and handling liquids (publication 1698)
- check people and businesses comply with environmental laws
- issue licences and works approvals to businesses at a high risk of causing hazardous leaks and spills.
Reports about pollution
We respond to and investigate reports about pollution. This includes reports about hazardous leaks and spills.
We can prosecute people and businesses who break environment laws. Find out more about pollution prosecutions in Victoria.
Read more about hazardous leaks and spills
Reviewed 29 June 2020