Hazardous waste is reportable priority waste (RPW). Previously it was called prescribed industrial waste (PIW). You need a permission to transport RPW. 

Transporting hazardous waste laws in place from 1 July 2021

From 1 July 2021, you need a permission to transport reportable priority waste (transport), unless the net load is less than 50 kilograms or litres, and there is no fee or reward.

Permissions for transporting waste

You need an A10b registration to transport all reportable priority waste (transport) except waste codes B100, E100, G100 and R100. You need an A10a permit to transport these waste codes.

You can apply for a permission on the EPA portal.

These permissions include conditions to help you manage risks. The person who holds the permission is responsible for meeting the conditions. This means making sure everyone involved in transporting waste has the right training and supervision. You might need to provide evidence of this, such as internal operating procedures or staff training records.

Transport permissions are valid for five years. EPA can revoke or suspend a permission, including if the permission holder:

Permissions for transporting waste interstate

You need an A11 permit to bring controlled waste – the interstate equivalent of reportable priority waste (transport) – into Victoria. You need an A12 permit to take reportable priority waste (transport) out of Victoria.

Read next

Transporting waste

Waste Tracker

Reviewed 29 September 2021