When you can apply to have an infringement notice reviewed

If you have received an Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice, you may be able to apply to have your fine reviewed. This type of review is called an Internal Review. You can request only one internal review per infringement notice.

Please find the infringement notice review form at the bottom of this page.
You can request an Internal Review of your fine under one of the following grounds:

Person unaware: you did not know about the fine

You can request a review under this ground if all of the following apply:

  • you found out about the fine within the last 14 days
  • the fine was not personally given to you by an officer.

If you moved house but you did not change your authorised address with the relevant agency (for example, VicRoads) within 14 days of moving, your application will not be successful.
Your application may not be successful unless you provide evidence showing you didn't know about the fine. This could be a copy of your passport or boarding pass showing you were overseas, an invoice from a removalist showing that you moved house, a VicRoads address change confirmation or a report about mail theft.
You must submit your application within 14 days of the date you became aware of the fine.
If your application is successful you will be granted a further 21 days to deal with your fine.

Contrary to law: the fine is invalid or was improperly issued to you

You can apply under this ground if you believe that the enforcement agency's decision to fine you was inconsistent with the law.
For example, the fine is incomplete or it does not comply with the formal legal requirements of an infringement notice, or the officer who issued the fine acted unlawfully, improperly or outside their authority. 

Mistake of identity: the fine was issued to the wrong person

You can request a review under this ground if you have been incorrectly identified as the person who committed an offence, and you have evidence to prove you did not. For example, someone provided your licence or gave your details to police, or you have the same name as another person or family member and the wrong person received the fine.
This review ground does not apply if someone else was driving your vehicle at that time, you are the registered owner of the vehicle and you received a fine. If this applies to you or your company, do not use this review ground to request a review. You should instead nominate the driver so we can re-issue the fine to them.  

Exceptional circumstances: the offence occurred due to an extraordinary or unavoidable situation

You should select this ground only if you can show that the offence occurred due to circumstances that were out of the ordinary, unavoidable or exceptional – such as a medical emergency or a vehicle breakdown. 

Special circumstances: you have serious personal issues, disorders or difficulties

These circumstances are very specific. You can select this ground only if you committed the offence and can show that:

  • at the time of the offence you:
    • had a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness
    • had a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or a volatile substance
    • were homeless
    • were a victim survivor of family violence, or
  • you cannot deal with your fines because of severe disabling long-term circumstances.

You need to provide evidence from a qualified practitioner or agency. For more information on what is required and how to apply, refer to Special Circumstances.

Family violence: you have been impacted by family violence

The Family Violence Scheme helps family violence victim survivors with fines if there is a link between the family violence and their fines.
Refer to Family Violence Scheme for more information and assistance.

How to apply to have an infringement notice reviewed

To apply for an internal review for an infringement, click on the following button

Begin infringement - internal review application


What happens after you apply to have an infringement notice reviewed

When the review is complete, you’ll get a written notice of the review’s outcome. The reviewing officer may decide to:

  • withdraw the infringement notice and refer the matter to a court
  • confirm the decision to issue the infringement notice. If this happens, your payment date will be extended by 28 days
  • withdraw the infringement notice and give you an official warning instead
  • withdraw the infringement notice and take no further action
  • tell you that you don’t have to pay some or all your costs
  • approve a payment plan through Fines Victoria
  • do any combination of the above.

Find out more about fines and infringements

How to pay a fine

How we calculate fees and fines


Reviewed 18 May 2023