EPA’s new website is under construction. It contains links to our previous site while we add information.
EPA's programs help you with your responsibilities to protect the environment.
For example, we:
- chair the Taskforce that inspects resource recovery facilities across Victoria to tackle stockpiles of combustible recyclable and waste materials (CRWM) that might pose a fire risk
- work with large industrial businesses to manage their environmental risks
- support service stations to prevent leaks from their underground petrol storage systems (UPSS)
- nominate projects that restore the local environment with the Inspiring Environmental Solutions program
- have developed new landfill licence conditions with industry input.
We also have research and prevention programs to protect the environment.
For example, we:
- work with academics on waste management research
- manage groundwater studies for the Fishermans Bend urban renewal project
- work to improve water quality with the Better Bays and Waterways program
- prevent illegal dumping with our Strikeforce team.
We have programs that help the community become more involved in learning about the environment.
Recent programs included:
- an event led by Victoria’s leading female scientists for International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- National Science Week events about pollution, waste and the environment.
Programs to support people protecting the environment
Victorian Government Resource Recovery Facilities Audit Taskforce
Work with EPA on waste management research
ChemCollect: safe collection of toxic waste
Supporting service stations to manage underground petrol storage
Funding for restoring the local environment
Programs to research and prevent pollution and waste
Studying groundwater at Fishermans Bend
Identifying environmental risks across major industries
Assessing compliance across major industries
Improving water quality: Port Phillip and Western Port
How we target illegal dumping
Using drones to fight illegal dumping Landfills Improvement Program
Landfills Improvement Program detailed response to licence holder feedback
Examples of recent EPA education programs
Supporting International Day of Women and Girls in Science
Celebrating National Science Week
Using science to improve Melbourne’s liveability
Panel discussion on health, risk and making informed choices
Waste away – the future of garbage
More information about current projects and issues
Active environmental issues
Major infrastructure projects