How EPA works with local government and the community
- We are working with Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong and Wyndham councils to protect the local environment in Brooklyn.
- We sit on the Brooklyn Industrial Precinct Strategy Committee.
- We have an Officer for the Protection of the Local Environment (OPLE) based at Brimbank and Hobsons Bay councils. They can proactively identify and respond to dust and odour reports.
- We contributed to Brimbank City Council's award-winning Brooklyn Evolution Project. It is a strategy which sets out the long-term vision for the precinct.
- We have been providing staff resources for the Brooklyn Community Representative Group since 2008. This includes its events such as open house days and town hall forums. The community, industry, councils and government agencies attend these events. They create opportunities to discuss issues relating to Brooklyn’s community and environment.
EPA’s practical and research work
- We conducted an earlier study into the source of dust in Brooklyn. The study found that unsealed roads caused more than half of dust emissions in Brooklyn. Bunting Rd contributed at least 23 per cent and Jones Road at least 8 per cent of airborne dust.
- We worked with VicRoads and Brimbank City Council to seal Jones and Bunting roads. This removed a significant source of dust.
What EPA does on high-risk days
- We use air quality forecasting to predict high-risk days for odour and dust. On high-risk days, we provide warnings to schools and businesses, and we require industry to undertake dust suppression measures.
- On high-risk days, we prioritise the response in Brooklyn. We can send an EPA officer or the OPLE, for rapid response to pollution reports.
How EPA works with industry
- We monitor key companies in the area. We give them advice on how they can improve the way they manage dust and odour.
- We require companies to implement measures such as:
- sealing surfaces high-risk areas of premises
- taking appropriate actions to lessen dust from their site
- reducing dust from truck movements
- modifying biofilters to reduce odour
- keeping animal by-products contained, to prevent strong odours.
EPA’s investigation and enforcement
Our work includes regulatory and enforcement responses to pollution reports. This includes trialing drones with cameras to gather pollution evidence.
We have been taking enforcement action against several sites in the precinct, based on investigations.
Reviewed 12 May 2020