Removing, transporting and disposing of asbestos can be dangerous. You must manage asbestos waste the right way.
How to remove asbestos
The safest way to remove asbestos is to use a licensed asbestos removalist.
A licensed asbestos removalist must:
- take the asbestos to a licensed landfill.
If your business decides to remove asbestos without a licensed asbestos removalist, follow guidance from Asbestos in Victoria.
How to transport commercial asbestos
To transport commercial asbestos, you must:
- use a vehicle with a waste transport permit
- have completed Victorian Waste Management Association driver training
- transport the asbestos to a licensed landfill.
How to store asbestos
To store asbestos temporarily, you may need an EPA works approval and licence.
In some circumstances, a works approval or licence is not needed. You can store asbestos for less than 60 days if it is:
- less than 10 m3
- double wrapped
- non friable
If it is stored at a site that is:
- permitted under a planning scheme made under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to be used as a transfer station, and which is allowed to accept asbestos
- used as a public utility depot and is storing asbestos waste that has been generated by the public utility. The site must be at least 100 m away from homes, health services, childcare and education centres.
The waste asbestos needs to be transported to a site which is licensed by EPA to receive it.
If you have a transfer station or other depot, you may need to register your site with us.
Landfills that accept asbestos
Landfills can accept domestic or commercial asbestos, or both. Search for your nearest landfill that accepts asbestos.
Laws about asbestos waste
- Industrial Waste Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009
- Environment Protection (Scheduled Premises) Regulations 2017
More about asbestos
- Asbestos in Victoria gives guidance on identifying, managing and removing asbestos.
- WorkSafe gives guidance on managing asbestos in the workplace.
- The National Association of Testing Authorities can test samples for asbestos.
- Asbestos transport and disposal (publication IWRG611.2) gives more information on managing asbestos waste.
- Report illegal dumping of asbestos.
Read more about asbestos
Reviewed 29 June 2020