You can apply for an A13a licence or an A13b permit to receive, store, or process waste online using the EPA Portal.

Activities requiring an A13a licence or A13b permit

If you receive, store, or process waste generated at a site other than your own, this means you are doing a waste or resource recovery activity. This includes working with combustible recyclable and waste material (CRWM). It doesn't include moving reportable priority waste (RPW) for resource recovery or disposal.

Sites already undertaking an A13a or A13b activity as of 1 July 2021 must apply for a permit or operating licence before 1 October 2021. If you don't meet the deadlines, you may be breaking the law which could mean significant fines for individuals or businesses.

If you are developing a new waste resource and recovery activity, or your CRWM activity was not operating before 1 July 2021, you may require a development licence. If you are not sure what type of permission you might need, you can follow the permission proposal pathway

Documents you should include in your application

You should complete and attach the following documents in the upload section of the online application. We may also ask for additional information while assessing your application. 

Documents you should include in your application

Understand licence and permit conditions 

An EPA licence or permit has standard conditions attached. These outline the legal obligations of the permission holder. They set up a framework for risk management, record keeping and reporting. Referring to them may help you understand the risks and risk management controls you need to demonstrate in your application:

How to prepare and submit an application

More information

Reviewed 23 November 2021